Economic Development - Brandon will be an economic & social environment which is supportive, sustainable, innovative and providing equal opportunity for all
The community has continued to experience growth in the retail and service sectors with the addition of recognized brand name stores and restaurants. In conjunction with the expansion of existing companies such as Maple Leaf, Inventronics, Convergys, Canexus and Behlen Industries, new construction demands and the introduction of new businesses such as Shape Foods Flax Crushing Plant there has been a steady demand to expand the existing workforce. Immigration has and will continue to be one of the means in which to provide the required workforce. The community will be required to proactively manage the social challenges of providing affordable housing solutions and other necessary services to an expanding community base.
Brandon like other centres across western Canada continues to struggle with attracting higher skilled companies to setup operations. The competition for these companies requires flexible development strategies, responsive decision makers and incentives that are applied in a manner that balances overall needs of the community. The ongoing bid to obtain service from a commercial air carrier will be enhanced through the attraction of new business and opportunity within the city.
- Brandon & Area Planning District
- Brandon Chamber of Commerce
- Existing businesses
- Economic Development Brandon
- City of Brandon
- Provincial and Federal Government
COMMUNITY STRATEGIC PLAN KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Team Brandon for Economic Development - restructured the ad hoc committee of City Council (EDSAP). Developed the terms of reference and operating practices of the new committee.
- Survey - developed & issued a survey to gain a better understanding of the economic climate in the city & to explore solutions.
- Subcommittees - Developed two working committees for the immediate areas of focus for the group - business environmentand Government relations.
- Communication / Collaboration - Increased collaboration amongst Economic Development stakeholders.